First, let's go over a quick review of what mold is. All molds are fungi, just like mushrooms and athlete's foot, for example. The mold that is toxic to people is relatively uncommon in the fungi kingdom, meaning most kinds you find in your house or business aren't dangerous. However, some toxic molds are dangerous, so any mold you find indoors must be cleaned up and completely removed.
Government experts recommend that you call a emergency mold restoration contractor jackson mi company for help if the mold growth takes up more than about 3 square feet. If you see mold, there is probably more behind walls, in attics and elsewhere.
Before you contact mold damage repair technicians, the first step is to prevent the mold from getting worse. Do this by turning off any HVAC systems. Next, work to stop the dripping or condensation that supplied the mold in the first place. For instance, make sure damaged roofs are no longer getting into your house or business and stop the flow of any moisture that has penetrated your basement. Next, stop it from spreading. You could tape off the area with plastic sheeting, for instance.
Should you get a mold removal service to help or can you complete it on your own? Beyond thinking about the extent of the damage, think about any aggravating health concerns you may have that make you susceptible to becoming sick.
Once you've made the decision, there are important steps to take in either direction. To finish the mold removal yourself, purchase items such as long mold-approved gloves, coveralls and a mold-safe mask and a pair of goggles. You will also need a throwaway tarp and a saw to fix drywall, if that's where you found the mold. Experts agree that you should not leave moldy and unpainted drywall anywhere because it can't be cleaned well enough. Avoid cleaning with bleach.
If you're concerned enough about mold problems to do online research, you will want a professional mold removal company. For example, don't select a mitigation service focused on humid areas.
Before you schedule an appointment with any company, make sure that they are certified properly and that they are certified by watchdogs such as the Restoration Industry Association, the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration and Contractor Connection. You might also make sure the company knows and follows federal mold cleanup recommendations whether your mold is in a business or a residence.
Mold that is allowed to grow sends off spores, which act like seeds and can cause damage to spread rapidly. If not, mold damage will continue to feast on your home or business and will destroy your things. Some molds, those that release toxic spores, can also cause major health risks ranging from neurological damage to respiratory and mold-related infections and ongoing ill health. Mycotoxins can be especially harmful to infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system such as people with AIDS/HIV or lupus.
The best way to solve your mold problem is to get professional mold removal help. Don't hesitate.